Develops, organizes, and implements high quality sports leagues and programs for youth and
adults. The Sports Director will be responsible for cultivating partnerships with community
organizations that will benefit program participant experiences through collaboration. The
Sports Director will be an integral team player in all areas of the YMCA.
1. Directs and supervises program activities to meet YMCA objectives. Expands youth & adult
sports program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
2. Secures and schedules athletic fields and facilities. Transports and sets up equipment for
games and practices; monitors and purchases necessary sporting equipment as budget
permits. Oversees maintenance and inventory of all sports related equipment and
3. Creates teams from paid and financially assisted registrations. Organizes and conducts
orientation meetings, and trainings for coaches.
4. Develops and distributes team practice and game schedules; recruits, trains and schedules
sports officials; develops and distributes sports rules, guidelines and handbooks.
5. Purchases and distributes team uniforms and premium items; coordinates and distributes
6. Organizes and conducts sports camps and clinics.
7. Conducts research to identify and implement new sports programs. Develops peer
relationships to meet current sports trend.
8. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
9. Develops marketing and promotional strategies to increase awareness and interest in the
sports program. Oversees the distribution of all sports program information. This includes
website, e-marketing, social media, flyer, speaking engagements, etc.
10. Oversees the registration process and enforces all deadlines for sports programs.
11. Coordinates the use of YMCA sports facilities for rentals, program activities, and events.
12. Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
13. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
14. Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
15. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates participation trends.
16. Other duties as needed to assist in the overall successful operation of the YMCA.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development,
and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to
create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when
negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate
audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts
prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages
best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets.
Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change, models adaptability and an
awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive
issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge
and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date
knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Bachelor's Degree in related field or equivalent.
2. One to two years related experience preferred.
3. Fulfillment of state-specific hiring standards and completion of YMCA program specific
certifications. Typical requirements within 30 days of hire include: completion of Child
Abuse Prevention, CPR, First Aid, and AED.
4. Ability to communicate and relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social
and economic segments of the community.
5. Proficient computer skills with experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office, program
software, and social media.
1. Email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject: Sports Director Application
2. Deadline for submission: Open until filled.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Description Attachment : YMCA of McCook Sports Director Job Announcement June 2022.pdf
Join Our Newsletter!